Saturday, August 29, 2009

Hurri-Cane Reeds: still workin' on 'em


I'm still working on developing the perfect synthetic reed, and like many things in life, it has taken longer and cost more than I originally thought! We've found a very stable material which sounds good and can be accurately machined, and I'm down to the point of tweaking the cut and contour to get maximum response. We've made a lot of mistakes during this process, but I've learned a lot about what doesn't work, which is invaluable information. Now all I've got to do is find what works best, and then and only then will we offer them for sale.

The materiaL we are using is pretty amazing stuff. No, it's not ordinary polystyrene plastic. I'll eventually get this figured out, but won't offer these for sale until I am totally satisfied.

The picture illustrates the first version (upper) and the latest version (lower). You'll notice a significantly different surface if you look closely. I'll keep you posted! I'm sure the usual trolls will have a lot to say about this project, but I would point out that exactly six people in the world have played this product, and they are not among them! Of course, never having seen or played one of my products has never stopped them in the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on my posts. HOWEVER, be advised that all comments are moderated, and that I won't allow any comments that do not contain your real name and a verifiable email address. Please do not waste my time and yours with comments you know I will not allow.