Saturday, September 19, 2009

Nice review of our solid silver neck.....

Before SOTW takes it down (they always remove posts that are favorable about my products.......)


bfoster64
Distinguished SOTW Member




Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,165 Goodson Saxgourmet Neck Rocks!! ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I bought a Saxgourmet solid silver alto neck off Ebay for $250 and, I must declare, it is the best neck I have tried so far on my Yamaha 82Z alto.

It is hands down better than the G1 neck that came with the horn, the Series III neck and Ref 54 necks I have tried, and what is reportedly a copy of a Barone neck, which I have been using for a while.

Until now I was using the Barone copy because it had the best intonation and response, but I missed the extra focus of the G1 neck--the "Barone" neck is very spread.

Bear in mind, I haven't tried a real Barone neck on this horn--this was one of the ~$100 necks that the Ebay seller reported as having been made on the same tooling as the Barones. Based on my prior experiences with Barone necks for alto and tenor, that seems plausible, but I can't be sure. At any rate, it was always my favorite neck for the Z until now.

The Saxgourmet neck really dials everything in--great intonation, super fast response, even tone, and focus from top to bottom.

I have always been skeptical of Goodson's products and marketing style (what's with that Buck Rodgers ray-gun looking tenor neck with the metal blobs on it?) but I took a chance on this neck because I like the way it looked (I dig that underslung octave key and the silver matches my 82ZSM pretty well). I couldn't be happier that I did!
__________________
Alto: Selmer SBA 53xxx; Otto Link Pompano TE 6*; Hemke 3. Tenor: Selmer Mark VII M284xxx; BD Dukoff Hollywood #4; Vandoren V16 #4.
Effects: TC Nova System. http://www.myspace.com/subatomicpdx http://www.myspace.com/saxndrums

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on my posts. HOWEVER, be advised that all comments are moderated, and that I won't allow any comments that do not contain your real name and a verifiable email address. Please do not waste my time and yours with comments you know I will not allow.