Monday, June 8, 2009

What's the upper limit for saxophone prices?




If you consider the flute, guitar, bassoon, or numerous other instrument markets, saxophones are a real bargain from a pricing point of view. This is because manufacturers basically grind them out using tried and true mass assembly techniques. Nobody is offering a hand built tweaked to death horn, with unique features, killer cosmetics, and a level of build quality never seen before. I believe that this situation exists because the manufacturers simply didn't believe the market existed. I disagree, and I'm going to do something about it.

Now I realize that this market is miniscule in size. I also understand that the high price point necessary would put this instrument out of the reach of most players. That being said, our company will introduce a "boutique" saxophone in the next few weeks that we have been working on for the last three years: the Category Five. We've been through several prototypes, and have learned a lot. Our goal was a cost is no object, Mother Mary and Joseph Big Daddy Rabbit with the Fuzzy Tongue best saxophone in the world.

We went to the factory that we think builds the best horns in the world and gave them our specifications. They came back with a prototype, we played it, made some more changes, got another prototype made, and finalized the design. We then shopped it around among some of our regular customers and actually sold a few! Delivery will begin next week.

When the final product arrives, I'll post videos, pictures, and all the other necessary propaganda. In the meantime, here's a couple of teaser pictures posted above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on my posts. HOWEVER, be advised that all comments are moderated, and that I won't allow any comments that do not contain your real name and a verifiable email address. Please do not waste my time and yours with comments you know I will not allow.