Wednesday, April 4, 2007

What's My Old Horn Worth?

I think I'm still the only one on the net who publishes a saxophone value guide. A couple of times a week, I hear from somebody who tells me one (or more) of my values is wrong. They should do their own research and publish their own guide. I promise not to try to stop them.

Old horn prices are all over the place, mainly because the marketplace has so many different aspects. Here's a couple of things you can count on:

(1) a horn is worth what a willing buyer and willing seller can agree upon

(2) "old" does not necessarily mean "valuable"

(3) the number of collectors buying really obscure and historic horns can
be counted on the fingers of both hands

(4) condition is everything. This means cosmetic as well as playing shape

(5) the eBay market is not a reliable indicator of value

(6) "stencil" horns have almost no value to anybody

(7) old student model horns have almost no value

(8) some horns are in serious oversupply: 6M's, for example

(9) a horn owned by a famous player must be incredibly well documented

(10) old C melodies generally have no real value

(11) the cost of repair or overhaul may well exceed the value

(12) necks and other parts are not available for old horns, at any price!

(13) anecdotal price information is generally just that

(14) you should learn "what's what" and "who's who" before buying

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on my posts. HOWEVER, be advised that all comments are moderated, and that I won't allow any comments that do not contain your real name and a verifiable email address. Please do not waste my time and yours with comments you know I will not allow.