Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Stuff Sax Players Need.....

It's not enough to own a good horn(s). Your sax life will be considerably better if you accessorize. A lot of the little problems and inconveniences are easily and cheaply resolved with some of the following items, all of which should be found in your case no later than day after tomorrow:

REED RESURFACER
Almost nobody I know has one of these, and they're crazy not to go out and buy one. The back side of your reeds is almost never flat, so getting that perfect seal on the table of your expensive mouthpiece is impossible. I use one made by Vandoren, and you can easily make one using a piece of glass with some emery paper glued onto the surface. I guarantee you will be amazed at the difference a few quick strokes makes.

REED RUSH, OR SOMETHING LIKE IT
I don't use the hard to find "Dutch Rush". It doesn't last. I use a single edge razor blade and a very light touch to balance my reeds. When I'm trying to impress somebody with my stash of exotic saxophone accoutrements, I whip out my "Santy's Permanent Reed Rush", which works a little better.

MUSIC MEDIC LEAK LIGHT
This is a "rope" type light that rolls up and fits easily in the case and requires no transformer. It's bright enough to let you spot most leaks, although you'll get far better results in a dark room. Once you spot the offending leak during a break, heat the cup using a butane "crack pipe type" lighter to float the pad back into position for the last set. You can buy these leak lights at www.nationofmusic.com

FOLD UP ALL IN ONE TOOL KIT
You know these: pliers, screwdrivers, saws, bottle openers etc. all in a fold up thingie in a little leather pouch. After the roadies knock over your horn while it's sitting on the stage after sound check, you're going to need all these tools.

A REALLY GOOD SCREWDRIVER
Throw away that set of "jeweler screwdrivers" that you bought at the flea market. Get a real one (Ferree Tool sells the best ones) with a nice big handle so you can torque out that stuck rod screw.

A BAG OF CORK AND FELT
Next time you're at the repair shop, get a small bag of cork scraps and key felts. Keep it in your case, along with a tube of Super Glue. Throw in a few rubber bands as well, because I've got it on good authority that you're gonna break a spring next week....You'll need some single edge razor blades to trim the cork.

A GOOD STAND
Throw away your old stand. Get a SaxRax. Accept no substitute. They're much cheaper than a trip to the repair shop.

THE BEST CASE YOU CAN AFFORD
When I travel, I use a top of the line Anvil, which holds my horn securely nestled in a Walt Johnson case. This is the only baggage handler/roadie proof set up I know of. Yes, it's expensive, but not nearly as expensive as my horn.....the choice is yours. Get a thickly padded bag for your neck. A really thick one, not a Crown Royal bag. I'm tired of taking the dents out of your neck.

A SOFT CLOTH SHOULD LIVE IN YOUR CASE
Use it to blot your pads off after you finish the gig. Remove all the moisture and they'll last practically forever. Wipe your horn down to keep the lacquer intact. Saliva, beer, and whiskey all attack lacquer.

EXTRA 9 VOLTS FOR YOUR WIRELESS
Don't count on the crew to have these for you. They forget. That's why they're roadies, not musicians.

PLENTY OF BUSINESS CARDS
Keep these in your case. You meet all sorts of interesting people back stage. Put your email address on the cards. Don't give your cell number to girls you meet back stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on my posts. HOWEVER, be advised that all comments are moderated, and that I won't allow any comments that do not contain your real name and a verifiable email address. Please do not waste my time and yours with comments you know I will not allow.