Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Orpheo Saxophones.....An Explanation

Another saxophone brand, just what we need? Actually, I think we do, and since I get paid to act on what I think is best for the saxophone community, Orpheo saxophones are being manufactured as we speak.

Saxophones are getting pretty expensive these days. The concept behind the Orpheo line is that the advancing student and "weekend pro player" needed an option that both played well and was affordable.

The Orpheo line (alto, tenor, and straight soprano) brings features found only on "professional" horns down to Earth in price. They've got double arms on the lower keys, our exclusive speaker key system for upper octave intonation improvement, a Saxgourmet thumbrest, MusicMedic kangaroo leather pads with Pisoni seamless domed resonators, and keywork to high G. Most importantly, they come with two different necks, for two different sounds. You wouldn't go to the golf course with only one club in your bag, now would you?

When I was designing the Orpheo, I tried to keep my favorite nephew, Zack Goodson, in mind. Like all the Goodson boys who played the saxophone (this includes my father and Zack's father and my brother, Dave), Zack soon had needs that you just couldn't get in a plain vanilla student model. Zack has been playing one of the early prototype Orpheo's for about six months now, and I'm pleased to report that he sits firmly in the first chair of his school band and the jazz band.

The Orpheo horns will be heavily engraved, and will be available in a variety of finishes: lacquer, black, silver plate, kamelion ("switchback" finish that appears to be a different color when viewed from different directions), and burnished brass. We hope to begin shipments to dealers in around 60 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on my posts. HOWEVER, be advised that all comments are moderated, and that I won't allow any comments that do not contain your real name and a verifiable email address. Please do not waste my time and yours with comments you know I will not allow.