Sunday, October 25, 2009

"Yellow Jacket" limited production tenor mouthpiece


I made up a special mouthpiece for a special customer last week, and liked the design so much I made up one for myself. A couple of guys played it and loved it, so I made up a few more. This design is VERY labor intensive, so I probably won’t add it as a regular part of the line. However, I’ve made six, and have three still available.

This is the same blank I use for my “Handmade” series, but with a different curve, baffle, and a bit larger tip opening. It’s in bare brass with black highlights, and comes with a Saxgourmet single screw ligature and a Saxgourmet metal cap. It has a huge amount of power, a very complex tone, flawless intonation, and no blowing resistance.

If you want to hear it, go here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxgourmetproducts#p/a/u/1/wl3kmKtShH0

This is a very HEAVY mouthpiece (more mass=greater resonance) with a very pronounced “duckbill” beak, a high baffle leading into a large bullet chamber.

$450 FOB New Orleans…..here’s a picture:

1 comment:

  1. I am one of the happy, no make that VERY happy, owners of this mouthpiece. Not only is it a work of art, but it blows my vintage ny link away in terms of strength and complexity of sound. In addition, while it is a big heavy (he's not kidding about it being heavy) mouthpiece, I am still able to make it "whisper" when I need to.

    Until now I always thought that I played better when I had something to "push" against. Not any more. This mouthpiece is virtually effortless to play; the sound just sort of flows out.

    Steve's out done himself with this one.

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to comment on my posts. HOWEVER, be advised that all comments are moderated, and that I won't allow any comments that do not contain your real name and a verifiable email address. Please do not waste my time and yours with comments you know I will not allow.