Thursday, August 23, 2007

Why Can't the Saxophone Industry Do This?

A couple of weeks ago, I had the great pleasure of attending the National Flute Association conference in Albequerque, New Mexico, and it really opened my eyes. It was four days of very intense flute stuff, and made me wonder why the saxophone industry doesn't do the same thing.

True, there are a couple of different saxophone organizations that hold conferences, notably the North American Saxophone Alliance, the World Saxophone Congress, and some others, and I've participated in their meetings. The significant difference (and it's very significant) is the size and scale of the conferences. The flute folks turned out several thousand attendees and over two hundred exhibitors. The had concerts and recitals going from early in the morning until late at night, every night. The concerts represented every known style and genre. There were workshops and seminars on any subject remotely related to flutes and flute playing. Every company I ever heard of that makes flutes or flute related equipment exhibited. The organizers, to their great credit, structured the event in an extremely user friendly fashion. There were no pompus academicians in evidence anywhere! The facility was first class. The NFA's rules prohibit holding the conference at universities and other venues that really don't lend themselves to a first class presentation. It was a totally great experience, and I look forward to next year's event.

The saxophone industry, on the other hand, lacks a central organization that represents the diverse saxophone world. The conferences are full of academics intent on proving to the world how very important and meaningful they are. The exhibitors are treated like red headed step children. The conference venues appear to be selected on the basis of cost rather than function. I've attended many saxophone conferences, and have never left one feeling like it was a great experience. I think this speaks volumes about our industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment on my posts. HOWEVER, be advised that all comments are moderated, and that I won't allow any comments that do not contain your real name and a verifiable email address. Please do not waste my time and yours with comments you know I will not allow.